National

Chauvin was ready to sue for a third-class murder, but AG Bar blocked the deal, officials say

Minneapolis (AP) — Minneapolis police officer Derek Chauvin was ready to plead guilty to a third-class murder in the earlier death of George Floyd-Attorney General William Barr personalized the judicial transaction last year Officials said they had blocked it.

According to two law enforcement officers with direct knowledge, the deal was part of an effort to quickly resolve the case to avoid further protests after protests and riots damaged Swath in southern Minneapolis. Would have avoided potential federal charges, including civil rights infringement. Of the meeting. Officials spoke to the Associated Press on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss the meeting.

Officials said Mr. Barr refused the deal because he felt it was too early because the investigation into Mr. Floyd’s death was still relatively early.

It was previously reported that Chauvin was attending the roundtable, which appears to have been delayed by nearly two hours due to an ongoing May 28 press conference by a U.S. lawyer in Minneapolis. is. However, details of Chauvin, who agreed to plead guilty on certain charges, were new and were first reported by the New York Times late Wednesday.

Floyd, a black man who was handcuffed at the time, died on May 25 after a white policeman knelt on his neck for a few minutes, even though Floyd shouted that he couldn’t breathe. Widespread bystander videos quickly spread nationwide, causing violence, arson, theft and other protests in the city.

Chauvin was fired shortly after Floyd’s death. He will be tried on March 8 on charges of two murders and manslaughter. A trial is scheduled for later this year since the other three police officers on the scene were also dismissed.

Chauvin’s defense counsel Tom Kelly said Thursday that he could not discuss the case. Chauvin is currently represented by Eric Nelson, who declined to comment. A spokesman for a US law firm declined to comment.

Separately, the judge who handled Chauvin’s case on Thursday rejected the prosecution’s request to revive the third-class murder.

Prosecutors have reinstated a recent Minnesota Court of Appeals ruling in support of a third-class murder conviction against Minneapolis police officer Mohammed Noor, who was convicted of shooting an unarmed 911 caller in 2017. He claimed to have set a precedent in support of. Judge Peter Cahill ruled that Noor had no precedent power until further proceedings in the State Supreme Court.

Chauvin was ready to sue for a third-class murder, but AG Bar blocked the deal, officials say

Source link Chauvin was ready to sue for a third-class murder, but AG Bar blocked the deal, officials say

Show More

Related Articles

Back to top button