Lifestyle

High blood pressure during pregnancy is associated with poor memory after a few years

(HealthDay)-High blood pressure and pre-eclampsia during pregnancy can follow women for years and can result in lower memory and thinking test scores, a Dutch study suggests doing.

A study of nearly 600 pregnant women included 481 with normotension and 115 with hypertension during pregnancy.

Of those 115 women, 70% had gestational hypertension. This is high blood pressure that begins 20 weeks after pregnancy in a woman who previously had normal measurements. The other 30% had preeclampsia, hypertension and pregnancy complications characterized by elevated urinary protein levels that developed 20 weeks after gestation.

“Women with high blood pressure that begin during pregnancy, and women with pre-eclampsia, need to be carefully monitored after pregnancy, and they and their doctors may help reduce lifestyle changes and the risk of weakness. Other treatments need to be considered. Later thinking and memory skills, “said research author Dr. Maria Adunk. She belongs to the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology at the Erasmus University Medical Center in Rotterdam, the Netherlands.

Adank’s team tested the survey participants 15 years later and asked them to remember the 15-word list first, immediately, and then 20 minutes later.

In three immediate recall tests, women who had no hypertension problems 15 years ago scored an average of 28 out of 45. Women who suffered from high blood pressure during pregnancy scored an average of 25 points.

After adjusting for other factors that may affect thinking skills, such as pre-pregnancy women’s weight, education, and ethnicity, researchers found that women who suffered from high blood pressure during pregnancy had immediate and delayed recall tasks. I found that the performance is degraded.

Researchers tested fine motor skills, language fluency, processing speed, and visual spatial ability, and found no difference between the two groups.

Women had not been tested for memory or thinking before or during pregnancy, the authors wrote in a report published online on December 30. Neurology..

Adunk said the study did not show a causal link between hypertension and test scores, only a link.

“It is important to consider preeclampsia and preeclampsia as risk factors for female-specific cognitive impairment,” Adank said in a news release from the American Academy of Neurology. “Many women consider this a temporary problem during pregnancy and may not be aware that it can have long-term consequences.”

She added that more research is needed to learn if early treatment can prevent thinking and memory problems in women with a history of high blood pressure during pregnancy.


Even a slight increase in blood pressure in early pregnancy is a bad sign


For more information:
The US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention details high blood pressure during pregnancy.

Copyright © 2020 Health Day. all rights reserved.

Quote: Hypertension during pregnancy is associated with poor memory after a few years (January 4, 2021), January 4, 2021 https://medicalxpress.com/news/2021-01-high Obtained from -blood-pressure-pregnant-linked.html.

This document is subject to copyright. No part may be reproduced without written permission, except for fair transactions for personal investigation or research purposes. The content is provided for informational purposes only.



High blood pressure during pregnancy is associated with poor memory after a few years

Source link High blood pressure during pregnancy is associated with poor memory after a few years

Show More

Related Articles

Back to top button