The Johnson & Johnson single-dose COVID-19 vaccine is safe and effective, according to a new analysis by the Food and Drug Administration, the Wall Street Journal reports.
- This opens up the possibility of the third COVID-19 vaccine in the United States, increasing the number of people vaccinated and reducing the time to return to normal.
Findings of J & J vaccine:
- According to the Wall Street Journal, an FDA analysis found that the J & J vaccine was 66.1% effective in preventing moderate to severe symptoms of the new coronavirus.
- The study reviewed 44,000 patients in the United States, South Africa and other countries. Of these, seven who received placebo died of COVID-19. There were no deaths among the vaccinated people, the Wall Street Journal reports.
- According to the CNN, the vaccine was 66.9% effective at least 14 days after vaccination and 66.1% effective 28 days after vaccination, according to the FDA.
- “A subgroup analysis of age, race, ethnicity, comorbidities, or previous SARS-CoV-2 infections did not identify any particular safety concerns,” CNN said.
What does that mean for Utah?
Utah Governor Spencer Cox He commented on Johnson & Johnson’s Twitter news, saying that this meant more doses for Beehive.
- “And don’t forget that this is a one-shot vaccine … Therefore, it is equivalent to 40 million Pfizer / Moderna doses, and Pfizer and Moderna have been given about 80 million doses so far. We have been doing this, but we plan to administer a total of 200 million doses by the end of March. “
And don’t forget that this is a one-shot vaccine … therefore equivalent to 40 million Pfizer / Moderna doses. In addition, Pfizer and Moderna have administered about 80 million doses so far, but plan to administer a total of 200 million doses by the end of March. https://t.co/o5ZHNHkRbj
— Spencer Cox (@SpencerJCox) February 24, 2021
Utah will begin distributing the COVID-19 vaccine to people with underlying illnesses starting March 1.
So what’s next?
- The FDA will hold an all-day meeting on Friday to review the data. According to USA Today, the FDA “highly appreciates the vaccine and is likely to lead to FDA approval of the vaccine within a few days.”
Johnson & Johnson COVID-19 Vaccine: Is It Safe? What does the FDA say?
Source link Johnson & Johnson COVID-19 Vaccine: Is It Safe? What does the FDA say?