Florida

Miami Condo Collapse: First Funeral for Victims 12 Days After Disaster

First funeral for Miami The victims of the condominium collapse-a close family who loved to spend time together-were held almost two weeks after the disaster last month.

June 24, Champlan Towers South Collapse on the surfside of Miami, To the south Florida.. Although 36 deaths have been confirmed so far, 109 possible inside the building are still considered missing.

Hundreds of mourners gathered on Tuesday Miami beach Church at the first funeral for the victims of the collapse.

Marcus Guara (52), wife Anna Guara (42), daughter Lucia (10) and Emma (4) were remembered as families who loved to walk on the beach.

“Who thought a few weeks ago that our community had so many connections to a small building called Surfside in a small corner of Florida,” Marcus Guara’s cousin Peter Milian said in a tribute to his family. I did.

Images from the funeral show attendees at the burial of the Catholic Church of St. Joseph. The remains of the Guara family were found during search and rescue operations at the site of the collapse.

Hours after the funeral, Miami-Dade Mayor Daniella Levine Cava announced the latest death toll at a press conference. “I ask everyone in the world to continue this story. Remember the hearts and prayers of these victims,” ​​she said.

Meanwhile, Miami-Dade County Fire Chief Alan Kominsky said the rest of the Champlain Towers South Complex, despite saying that rescuers couldn’t find a “livable space” to save the survivors. Search and rescue operations continued after the controlled dismantling of the.

Local officials say they haven’t given up hope of finding a survivor, but no one has been found alive in the rubble since the first few hours after the collapse.

The search continues while Elsa, enhanced by a Category 1 hurricane, is in orbit to land on Florida’s North Gulf Coast on Wednesday morning. But experts said surfsides are likely to escape the worst storms.

Due to the approaching hurricane, local officials urged the still-standing part of the 12-story tower to be demolished on Sunday night, fearing strong winds could destroy it. On Tuesday, lightning brought by Elsa caused rescue teams to suspend their activities for some time.

Over £ 5 million of debris has been removed from the scene since the collapse. So far, investigators have not been able to determine the cause of the collapse, but are focusing on the 2018 engineering report warning of structural flaws.

The disaster also forced officials across South Florida to study residential buildings for signs of inadequate construction or structural weaknesses.

Additional reporting by the institution

Miami Condo Collapse: First Funeral for Victims 12 Days After Disaster

Source link Miami Condo Collapse: First Funeral for Victims 12 Days After Disaster

Show More

Related Articles

Back to top button