Cairo – A Saudi-led coalition fighting Iran-backed rebels in Yemen said on Sunday that it had launched new aerial operations in its capital and other states in retaliation for missile and drone strikes on Saudi Arabia.
“The target for civilians and private institutions is the red line,” said Union spokesman Colonel Turki al-Maliki, reportedly said by the official Saudi Press Agency. He mentioned missile and drone attacks in Saudi Arabian cities in recent weeks, alleged by Iranian-backed rebels known as the Houthi.
“Terrorist (Houthi) leaders will be held accountable,” he said. Residents of Sana’a, the capital of Yemen’s rebels, reported hearing a big explosion when the bomb fell into the city on Sunday.
The Houthi-operated Almasila satellite television channel reported at least seven airstrikes in the Sana’a district of Attan and Arnada. Al Masila did not say which facility was hit by the coalition, but was seen back smoke in the area’s military camps. The channel also reported airstrikes in the Basil district of Hudaydah.
The coalition said the Houthis was encouraged by President Joe Biden’s administration’s decision last month to remove them from US terrorists. The designation of the Houthi as a terrorist organization was announced during the decline of former President Donald Trump’s administration and sparked widespread protests from the United Nations and humanitarian organizations operating in Yemen.
While the Houthi attack rarely causes casualties or casualties, attacks on major oil facilities in Saudi Arabia, the world’s largest oil exporter, have shaken the energy market and the global economy.
The coalition also said it intercepted and destroyed at least 12 explosive-laden drones and two ballistic missiles launched by rebels on Sunday in Saudi Arabia. On Thursday, the Houthis said they launched a drone attack on an oil facility in the port city of Jeddah. Another ballistic missile attack last week reached the capital, Riyadh, where it was intercepted and exploded in the sky, scattering shrapnel throughout the city.
Meanwhile, Fushi army spokesman Yehia Sally claimed that their air defenses shot down a Turkish drone fired in northern Jowf by the Saudi Air Force on Sunday.
There was no approval from Saudi Arabia, and rebels did not provide evidence to support their claim.
A Sunday airstrike in Sana’a also came as the Houthis continued its week-long attacks in Central Province of Malibu in an attempt to regain it from the internationally recognized government. They faced severe resistance and suffered great casualties without progress. Hundreds of people were killed in the Malibu clash.
There was also a conflict in Tides. Doctors Without Borders (MSF) said Friday that more than 20 people injured in the clash were treated at the charity-run Altaura Hospital. MSF also said heavy shootings struck the hospital, injuring at least three people, including one health care worker and a 12-year-old child.
MSF also said on Friday that Tides’ Altaura Hospital had treated 28 people injured in the violent clashes since Wednesday, adding that the hospital itself was shot and three people were injured, including a 12-year-old boy.
The conflict in Yemen broke out almost six years after the Houthis rushed to the capital and occupied most of the northern part of the country. The Saudi-led military alliance has launched a bombing campaign to expel the Houthi and revive the internationally recognized government.
The stalemate war killed about 130,000 people, including more than 12,000 civilians, put millions at risk of famine and caused the world’s worst humanitarian crisis. Saudi Arabia faces widespread international criticism of airstrikes that killed civilians and attacked non-military targets in Yemen.
Copyright 2021 AP communication. all rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed without permission.
Saudi-led coalition government attacks Yemen’s rebel capital
Source link Saudi-led coalition government attacks Yemen’s rebel capital