As a dog owner, you are responsible for your pet’s health. That means you have to make sure they get the right exercise and have regular checkups at the vet to ensure that they are in tip-top shape. Additionally, you also have to make sure they eat the right food.
And along with feeding your dog, the right food is keeping them away from the wrong food. There are tons of foods and ingredients out there that are safe and great for humans but post a lot of risks when dogs ingest them.
These risks can range from a couple of hours discomfort to your dog getting sick, and in some cases, eating the wrong food can be fatal for dogs. So, to help you keep your dog safe and healthy, we’ve compiled a list of some common human foods that are dangerous for dogs.
As much as possible, keep your dog away from any of these foods, and if ever they accidentally eat any of these ingredients, make sure to call your vet and keep a close eye on your pet.
Garlic & Anything In the Allium Family
Among the list of common human foods you shouldn’t feed your dog, garlic ranks very high up on the list.
So, why is garlic bad for dogs? Garlic, along with every other member of the allium family, contains a toxin that attacks and breaks down the red blood cells of dogs. The allium family includes onions, shallots, chives, and a whole lot of other herbs. The red blood cells are responsible for carrying oxygen around the body through the blood.
Since garlic and members of the allium family target the red blood cells, eating too much of these herbs can have some serious consequences for your dog. This could include, vomiting, lethargy, and even hemolytic anemia.
This is pretty common knowledge, but it’s always important to stress that chocolate is toxic for dogs. Dogs do not have the ability to digest a lot of the compounds in chocolate, and eating too much can be fatal for them.
Dark chocolate especially is dangerous for dogs as it has the highest amount of theobromine, which is very dangerous for dogs. However, all chocolate varieties have theobromine, so no chocolate is safe for dogs.
Aside from theobromine, chocolate also has high levels of sugar and caffeine, which are other ingredients to keep away from your dog.
While avocados are a favorite breakfast staple for many people, they aren’t safe for dogs. What most people don’t know is that avocados have high amounts of cholesterol. Humans usually have no trouble with this, especially if they eat moderate amounts of avocado. However, this is a big deal for dogs.
But aside from the cholesterol, Persin, which is found in avocado leaves is a bigger cause of concern. Persin is highly toxic for dogs and if they ingest it, they can face serious and even lethal repercussions. Persin is present in avocado leaves and in the fruit, and when dogs ingest it they can experience vomiting and diarrhea, which is why you should never feed your dog avocados.
Grapes are very dangerous and toxic for dogs, but scientists still aren’t sure why. While grapes and raisins are known to cause complications for dogs, scientists still haven’t been able to pinpoint the exact toxin that causes the negative reaction.
While the cause is still unknown, the result is. When dogs eat grapes and raisins, they can experience liver and kidney failure, which can be fatal. So, if you have grapes in your kitchen or on the table, make sure to keep them out of your dog’s reach.
While humans consume a lot of it, alcohol is actually poisonous to us, it’s just we can handle the effects better. Alcohol has the same effects on dogs such as liver damage, dizziness, and vomiting. However, it takes much less alcohol to trigger an intense reaction in dogs. Even small amounts of alcohol can cause severe liver damage and other complications in dogs, which is why you should never let your dog have any alcohol.
What Do I Do If My Dog Eats Something They Shouldn’t?
When living with a dog, there are times that they’ll get to some ingredients they shouldn’t. While this is a cause of concern, it’s very important not to panic, as that can make the situation worse.
If you catch your dog or suspect that they’ve eaten any of the things on this list, make sure to keep an eye on them. Additionally, you should always inform your vet as they can give you helpful advice on how to act. Usually, they will ask you to observe your dog and its symptoms for 24-48 hours.
If the symptoms go away after that time, you don’t have to worry. However, if they persist, you need to schedule a visit and checkup with the vet as soon as possible.