Nantucket – Town officials have flagged a flight due to arrive on the island this Tuesday as having “many similarities” to an unexpected flight. About 50 Venezuelan immigrants were left behind on Martha’s Vineyard..
and Posting press releases on the town websitethe Nantucket Police Department said officials at Nantucket Memorial Airport called them Friday afternoon to notify them of the flight.
“The charter company has been contacted by Nantucket Memorial Airport Operations, which reports that the charter flight is the group’s business flight out of Chicago,” reads a release.
The Nantucket Inquirer and Mirror reports that Nantucket flights will be operated by the same commercial airline that flew immigrants to the vineyards.
Nantucket Police said they and many other town departments “have detailed plans for dealing with such situations” should a plane carrying immigrants arrive.
Martha’s Vineyard Flight
Last September 14, two charter planes sent by Republican Florida Governor Ron DeSantis carried about 50 immigrants from Texas to Martha’s Vineyard without warning. A spokesperson for DeSantis said the immigrants were flown to Martha’s Vineyard as part of the governor’s “promise to unload illegal immigrants in progressive states.”
The flights were paid for by $12 million allocated this year by the Florida legislature to cover the costs of moving migrants out of Florida if they were arrested at the border and brought into the state.
On Sept. 16, according to state officials, immigrants voluntarily joint base cape codOn Friday, the migrant group’s temporary evacuation at the base ended, according to a Friday afternoon tweet from the State Department of Public Security.
According to the notice, immigrants will either move to another residence or move to another state.
Of the 35 immigrants, many of whom were Venezuelan, remained at the base and some were transferred to the Outer Cape and Martha’s Vineyard, including the Hyannis Housing Assistance Authority and Brockton-based Father Bills and Mainspring. organizations are trying. State Senator Julian Shih, D-Truro, in a recent interview with The Times to find housing for others.
“He thought the bus had immigrants on it:Security guard tracks and confronts elderly
First lawsuit of its kind
Venezuelan immigrants flown into Martha’s Vineyard filed a lawsuit against Florida Governor Ron DeSantis and his associates after receiving false promises of jobs, housing and other resources, according to court records. It is said that
Ivan Espinoza-Madrigal, executive director of Lawyers for Civil Rights, previously said the class action lawsuit was the first of its kind in the country.
Espinoza-Madrigal said the lawsuit represents “all similarly stranded immigrants across the country who were fraudulently induced to cross state lines by misrepresentation by Governor DeSantis.”
The lawsuit seeks a nationwide injunction to stop DeSantis from engaging in these activities that endanger the lives of people, including women and children, Espinoza-Madrigal said.
Information from USA Today was used in this report.
Access Premium Cape Cod Times Subscription content.
http://rssfeeds.floridatoday.com/~/715096030/0/brevard/news~Nantucket-police-say-possible-migrant-flight-headed-to-island-Tuesday/ Nantucket says migrant flights may head to island on Tuesday